AltStore is an alternative appstore that allows installation and self-signing of unofficial apps and game emulators.
Check out the download links below for more information and installation instructions.
How to Install AltStore:
Things to Know:
AltStore requires a Windows PC or Mac computer for initial installation. It is very easy to download and is much safer than installing a jailbreak. Here’s what you need:
- Your iOS device
- Windows or Mac computer
- USB connection cable for your iPhone or iPad
If you are using a Windows-based PC, you need to download iTunes from the official Apple website and not from the Microsoft app store. Use the links below for the correct version:
Steps to Download Altstore:
- Connect your iOS device to your computer
- Using your computer browser, download the app ( from above download buttons )
- Install the correct AltServer software for your operating system
- On your Mac, open the toolbar, and on top right click AltServer > Install AltStore and chose your device.
- On a Windows PC, open the icon tray at the bottom of the screen, on the right and click the AltServer icon, hover the mouse cursor over Install AltStore and choose your device. If you face errors on this step, check the solutions in the Troubleshooting section below.
- When AltStore has been installed on your device, keep AltServer open on your computer and your device connected, open AltStore on your device, and download whatever apps you want.
- Any time you want an app on your iPhone or iPad, your device must be connected to your computer and AltServer open ( this also applies to app updates ).
How to Use AltStore:
- Open AltStore on your device. If it shows Untrusted Developer, then go to Settings > General > Profile and Trust the Developer.
- Now on the AltStore app, sign in with your official Apple ID – Password or, if you used an app-specific password, use that one ( it must be the same one used to install the AltStore app via AltServer ).
- To sign in, tap on Settings > Account > Sign In. When you input your details, tap on Sign in
- Tap Browse and then either tap an app title to see what its all about or tap on FREE beside it to install it on your device
- You will see the download progress and, once installed; you can access it on your device in the same way as any other app.
How to Install IPA Files using AltStore:
- First, download the .ipa file on your device from the web.
- Now it should already show you the Altstore icon, so tap and launch in AltStore to self-sign the app and install
- If Step 2 doesn’t work, then tap the icon as shown here
- Open the file with the AltStore app and install it.
- Alternatively, you can launch the AltStore app and tap the “+” icon on the top left, head over to downloads and it should show you the recently downloaded .ipa files on your device.
- Select and install. Installed apps will now appear as “Sideloaded” under “My Apps” section.
Pros and Cons of AltStore App:
Here are a couple of advantages and disadvantages of the AltStore app.
- No Jailbreak required to install AltStore
- No Revokes – Since every user owns and creates their own developer certificates, it cant be revoked globally by Apple.
- Sideload apps just like Cydia Impactor
- Only 3 apps can be active at a time
- Requires a computer to run AltServer ( the desktop companion app ), which installs the AltStore app on your phone. Once installed, enable Wifi Sync on iTunes for an untethered experience.
- App Refresh required every 7 days to continue using them.
- Fix altserver.dmg cant be opened
Simply go to the download folder on your Mac computer and open the file.
- Fix Installation Failed
If you face this error, “Installation Failed, You are not a member of any Development team”
or the second type of installation failed error “Incorrect Apple ID or Password”
or the 3rd error type that says “Your development team has reached the maximum number of registered devices”
To fix all these, you will have to go to https://appleid.apple.com and generate an app-specific password as shown below. This is because you have 2-factor authentication enabled.
- I Get a “Could Not find AltServer” Message When Refreshing Apps
This means that AltServer could not be found on the Wi-Fi network. However, if you are on the same network, it could be that the network and firewall are blocking the communication. Try to configure your network, so it allows for device discovery on the network.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about the AltStore app.
- What is AltStore?
The AltStore app is an alternative appstore for iOS devices that works without jailbreaking. Unlike other unofficial app installers like TweakBox and TutuApp, the AltStore app does not rely on enterprise developer certificates, which Apple has been revoking recently. Check out the ( infographic ) below.
- Is AltStore a Jailbreak?
No, AltStore is not a jailbreaking app. It is an IPA installer that allows the installation of .ipa files of any app or tweak that you want, which is unavailable at the Apple AppStore.
- How Does AltStore Work?
Developed by a well-known developer, Riley Testut, AltStore makes use of a feature that app developers use to “test apps” before submitting them to Apple for inclusion in the app store. This is done by self-signing the apps on your own computer and not relying on the use of enterprise certificates that many 3rd-party installers use, that can be easily revoked by Apple. However, this feature also limits the number of Apps that can be installed by AltStore. At this moment the number is “limited to 3 apps” that can stay active, of which the AltStore app reserves 1 slot itself. So you can install 2 additional apps of your choice.
- What Apps does AltStore have?
Here is a list of the top downloaded apps on AltStore.
At the moment, there are only a couple of apps but in the very near future, more apps will be supported. Also, you can self-download IPA files and install using AltStore.
- Does AltStore get Revoked?
No. Where other similar app installers use enterprise certificates to run, AltStore doesn’t. Apple does not allow the use of enterprise certificates for public use, and they will revoke them sooner or later, shutting the apps down until new ones can be acquired. This can’t happen with AltStore because it doesn’t use these certificates; in effect, each individual user has their “own certificate for signing”, and these cannot be revoked.
- What is the Best Way to Use AltStore?
The following are the recommended usage guidelines from the developer.
- Set AltServer so that it launches automatically when your computer is turned on, and you log in.
- When you are not using your computer, leave it in sleep mode and keep your iPhone connected. This is more important at night because iOS wakes background apps up much more when the device is connected but not doing anything
- Open AltStore regularly, once a day, or every couple of days. This will allow iOS to prioritize it so that apps are refreshed more frequently
AltStore is designed, so it checks apps several times a week, so just make sure that your laptop or desktop is connected and active every now and again.
- Why Do I Need To Use My Apple ID?
Apple will allow any person with a valid Apple ID to install apps they have developed into their iOS devices for testing purposes. Because the developer included this feature in the app, using your Apple ID ensures that AltStore can communicate with the Apple servers for you and do whatever is needed to ensure apps can be installed on your device.
- Why do the Apps on AltStore Expire in 7 days?
This is because you are using a free Apple ID. Those that use paid developer accounts, at the cost of $99 per year, will not expire within seven days as the free ones do. It is for this reason that AltStore makes regular attempts to refresh apps, and you can do manual app refreshes from AltStore too.
- Do I Need To Keep AltServer Running to Install or Refresh My Apps?
Yes. You must have AltServer running on the same Wi-Fi network that AltStore is on for both refreshing and installing apps. So, does that mean AltServer has to be permanently running on my PC? No. Provided your computer is active on a regular basis, AltStore will check to make sure it is still running on the AltServer Wi-Fi network and, if it is, it will refresh your apps. This has to be successful at least once within the 7 days; otherwise, your app will expire.
The best thing to do is set AltServer, so it runs automatically in the background when your computer is switched on and then ensure that, every now again, your computer is left in sleep mode – if you use Windows, you need to ensure that Network Connectivity is allowed in Sleep mode.
You can contact the developer on Twitter for any queries and updates.
Ignition App is a new iOS app installer for iPhone.
TopStore allows you to download free Mods and Tweaks .
HappyMod is a new Android Mod store.