AltStore app lets you install unofficial apps on your iPhone and iPad.
You can download the Altstore app on your iOS device without jailbreaking.
Things to Know:
AltStore requires a Windows PC or Mac computer for initial installation of the AltServer app.
Windows PC users should download iTunes from the links below.
How to Install AltStore:
- Connect your iPhone or iPad to your computer using the lightning cable
- On your computer download the AltServer app from the download buttons above and install it.
- Mac users, go to the toolbar on top-right of your screen and click AltServer > Install AltStore and chose your attached device ( as shown in the image below ).
- Windows PC users should enable WiFi sync on iTunes. Then open the icon tray at the bottom-right of the screen, and click the AltServer icon, hover the mouse cursor over Install AltStore and choose your device. If you face errors on this step, check the solutions in the Troubleshooting section below.
- When the AltStore app has been installed on your iPhone, keep the AltServer program open and running on your computer. Now launch AltStore on your iPhone and download IPA file of any app you want, and install it.
- Any time you want to install an app on your iPhone or iPad, your device must be connected to the same WiFi on which your computer is connected and the AltServer app open ( this also applies to app updates ).
How to Use AltStore:
- Open AltStore on your iPhone. If it shows Untrusted Developer, then go to Settings > General > Profile and Trust the Developer.
- Now on the AltStore app, sign in with your Apple ID and Password or, if you used an app-specific password, use that one ( it must be the same one used to install the AltStore app via AltServer ).
- To sign in, tap on Settings > Account > Sign In. When you input your details, tap on Sign in
- Tap Browse and then tap an app to install it on your device
- You will see the download progress and, once installed; you can access it on your device in the same way as any other app.
How to Install IPA Files using AltStore:
- First, download the .ipa file on your iPhone from our Apps page.
- Now it should already show you the Altstore icon, so tap and launch in AltStore to self-sign the app and install
- If Step 2 doesn’t work, then tap the icon as shown here
- Open the file with the AltStore app and install it.
- Alternatively, you can launch the AltStore app and go to My Apps and tap the “+” icon on the top left, then go to downloads and it should show you the recently downloaded .ipa files on your device.
- Select and install. Installed apps will now appear under My Apps section.
Pros and Cons of the AltStore App:
Here are a couple of advantages and disadvantages of the AltStore app.
- No Jailbreak required to install AltStore
- No Revokes – Since every user owns and creates their own developer certificates, it cant be revoked globally by Apple.
- Sideload apps just like Cydia Impactor
- Only 3 apps can be active at a time
- Requires a computer to run AltServer ( the desktop companion app ), which installs the AltStore app on your phone. Once installed, enable Wifi Sync on iTunes for an untethered experience.
- App Refresh required every 7 days to continue using them.
- Fix altserver.dmg cant be opened
Simply go to the download folder on your Mac computer and open the file.
- Fix Installation Failed
If you face this error, “Installation Failed, You are not a member of any Development team”
or the second type of installation failed error “Incorrect Apple ID or Password”
or the 3rd error type that says “Your development team has reached the maximum number of registered devices”
To fix all these, you will have to go to https://appleid.apple.com and generate an app-specific password as shown below. This is because you have 2-factor authentication enabled.
- I Get a “Could Not find AltServer” Message When Refreshing Apps
This means that AltServer could not be found on the Wi-Fi network. However, if you are on the same network, it could be that the network and firewall are blocking the communication. Try to configure your network, so it allows for device discovery on the network.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about the AltStore app.
- What is AltStore?
The AltStore app is an alternative appstore for iOS devices that works without jailbreaking. Unlike other unofficial app installers like TweakBox and TutuApp, the AltStore app does not rely on enterprise developer certificates, which Apple has been revoking recently. Check out the ( infographic ) below.
- Is AltStore a Jailbreak?
No, AltStore is not a jailbreaking app. It is an IPA installer that allows the installation of .ipa files of any app or tweak that you want, which is unavailable at the Apple AppStore.
- How to Download AltStore?
You can download AltStore on your iPhone by installing the AltServer app on your computer. Then connect your iPhone to your computer and use AltServer to install AltStore on your phone.
- Does AltStore get Revoked?
No. Where other similar app installers use enterprise certificates to run, AltStore doesn’t. Apple does not allow the use of enterprise certificates for public use, and they will revoke them sooner or later, shutting the apps down until new ones can be acquired. This can’t happen with AltStore because it doesn’t use these certificates; in effect, each individual user has their “own certificate for signing”, and these cannot be revoked.
- Why do the Apps on AltStore Expire in 7 days?
This is because you are using a free Apple ID. Those that use paid developer accounts, at the cost of $99 per year, will not expire within seven days as the free ones do. It is for this reason that AltStore makes regular attempts to refresh apps, and you can do manual app refreshes from AltStore too.
- What is Sideloading?
Sideloading is a popular method of transferring files from one device to another easily. The Altstore app can sideload .IPA files from a computer to an iPhone. This process of installing IPA files without the interference of Apple is called Sideloading. There is an entire Reddit community dedicated to this topic, that you might want to check out.
- Is it Safe to Sideload Apps?
Yes, sideloading is safe since all you are doing is taking files from your computer and putting them on your iPhone. No jailbreaking is involved in the process of sideloading. We provide official and safe sources for you to download some of the most popular IPA files but, if you use others, you must ensure that you use reputable sources for the download.
You can contact the developer on Twitter for any queries and updates.